The club was founded in 1956, it was then merely a small three rink village club, founded by Mr W.A.Hawkes, with chairman Mr J Bains, Secretary Mr A Pryor and Treasurer Mr C Furr and at this time their was no clubhouse. A Pavilion was erected in 1958 with the funds coming from a loan from Mr W.A Hawkes. A building committee was set up to oversee the building of the Pavilion, which consisted of F Burr,V Cherry and D Castle.
The annual subscriptions for club members in 1958 were set at 10 shillings, with the green fees set at 6 pence per game.
Gradually over the years, with much hard work and effort by many subsequent committees and the help of the club membership, the green was extended , and it is now a full 6 rink green.
In 1996 a brand new brick built clubhouse was erected, incorporating all the facilities that a modern bowls club needs for the benefit of its members & guests. The clubhouse was built with the assistance of a grant from the National Lottery Commission, lots of fundraising from the members and thanks to the hard and difficult negotiations by, Mr M Mannion & Mr P Turner. The official opening was made on Sunday 9th June 1996 by Tony Alcock M.B.E.
The club is affiliated to :-
The Ladies section of the club was formed in 1972, with secretary Mrs A Mannion, Captain Mrs L Bramley and Vice Captain Mrs V.B.Mead . There are of course countless other members who have contributed to the ongoing success of Holwell Bowls Club, without whose assistance we would be nothing like the club that we are today!
Our membership currently stands at about 65 playing members, playing mostly mixed bowls, with the exception of the Men's County League, The East Beds & District League & the Ladies County League.
The club started playing mixed games in the Esavian & Dixons Mixed League in 1987. The league changed its name to the Stevenage & District Mixed League in 2009. The club also has two Male teams that play in the East Beds & District League.